Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Why I've decided I might dabble in golf

Being a woman in business comes with its challenges. Balancing family and work priorities, managing your household, blending into the corporate world around you without drawing attention to the fact that you're not "one of the guys".

Where am I going with this? Golf. For years I've always looked at golf as a silly sport. Boring and expensive, something wealthy business people did or seniors played when they retired. It occured to me a few months ago that for all my athletic activities I knew absolutely nothing about golf (my dominance on the Bullwinkle's Mini-Golf course doesn't count) and as I move into different roles in the corporate world I might find myself on a golf course with colleagues or other business associates. Not wanting to embarrass myself if such a time came Preston and I decided it would be fun (and educational) to go to the driving range and see how much I could learn :)

We headed towards the Kona Country Club and stopped along the way to take some pictures because the view is incredible. First we stopped at a bike shop and checked out some fun bike stuff and then we decided to hit the golf store next door to find out where we could hit some balls. Preston decided I should get a golf glove so I didn't get blisters so we both got gloves and headed for the links.

Turns out finding clubs at a driving range for 2 leftys is difficult so we rented some clubs and got 2 buckets of balls and we were in business. Let me first say that I underestimated golf. It's actually hard and confusing and after spending several hours on the putting green and driving range I'm no more confident than when I started but I do have an appreciation for the fact that it is a challenging game. I have relatively bad eye-hand coordination so remembering to keep my eye on the ball and not hit lots of air balls was easier said than done. Amazingly enough I did manage to hit a few great balls (my furthest went about 125yds) and my form wasn't too bad as evidenced by this photo.

We had a blast and now that we have golf gloves I suspect we will try to get to the driving range a few more times this summer although I doubt I'll see much improvement. So don't laugh if you see me on the golf course sometime :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home