Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Pure Motivation

I'm reading a book right now that talks about finding your pure motivation. Not an event or a person but what ultimately when the deck is stacked against you, drives you toward your goal, whatever it may be. I used to think my motivation was to hear those magical words "You are an Ironman" as I crossed the finish line at the Ironman Triathlon. But what then? You only become an Ironman one time so if all your motivation is wrapped up in that one event (like a wedding or a class reunion) then what happens when the event has passed?

This got me thinking about what really drives me. What motivates me to make choices that keeps me driving toward my goal. For that matter what is my goal...

179.2

For many that's a random number for me it's weirdly symbolic. When I weigh 179.2 I will have also lost 179.2. Exactly half of myself. Yes, training for triathlons will help me reach that goal but at the end of the day when I've worked 12-14 hours and I'm tired and just want to spend time with my husband and watch TIVO, the thing that keeps me focused on my goal is this:

Self-Confidence

For many that know me this will probably seem a bit odd as I don't believe I exude a lack of self-confidence even when I was at my highest weight. I was always bubbly and happy, well liked and fun to be around. But deep down I lacked the self-confidence that I could achieve my goal. 179.2 is just a number but to me it's also a state of mind. When I'm at that goal I will have completely reshaped my life. Every pound lost and new accomplishment successfully completed gets me that much closer to that goal and at the end of the day everything is affected.

I'm more confident in my job, more comfortable talking with business leaders, giving presentations etc. I don't worry whether I'll fit in the chair at the conference table anymore. I'm more confident in my health. With just 17lbs to go I am healthier than I've been in years and feeling really strong and fit. I'm more confident about myself. I feel happier, sexier and more youthful than ever and it comes across in my attitude and my activities every day.

So as I inch ever closer to that goal, I try to keep in mind that 179.2 isn't the finish line. It's just the beginning and my pure motivation comes from trying to be the best me that I can, enjoying life to the fullest and striving to be an example to others to set their goals high and then work day by day towards achieving them.

If I can do it, anyone can!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bonnie-

Can you tell me what book this is that you're reading?

March 29, 2006 8:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home