Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Jumping Off the Hamster Wheel

Spring is here and I'm moving off the hamster wheel (also known as treadmill) and out into the world - HOORAY!!!!

After a long winter inside staring at TVs and breathing recycled air I broke out of the gym and took my new running legs out for a test drive :)

After 6 weeks of working on getting comfortable with ratio workouts where I'm running at different speeds for different time periods, I decided yesterday was too beautiful a day to stay inside.

I'd been kind of skeptical on how well I'd be able to do trying to feel out a pace on the road without the feedback of the display on the treadmill telling me I was for sure going 5 MPH etc. Fortunately I ended up near a pond I used for training on my last 1/2 Ironman which I know is .33m around so I did the math for my workout and held my breath hoping I would just know how a 12min mile felt.

My workout today called for:

10min warm-up on the bike then 5 min @ 4MPH and 5 min @ 4.5MPH

After that I did 5 min @ 4MPH and then 6 min @ 5MPH three times followed by a 5 min cool down. I ended up running faster than the pace a few times which made me happy that I could do that although I did try to dial it back when I realized I was going to fast.

Today I'm taking my tri bike out for a ride from the office so we'll see how that goes what with traffic and all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home