Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, April 14, 2006

Leopards don't usually like water...

This leopard definitely didn't like the water. Swimming was my least favorite of the 3 disciplines. I couldn't stand it. Could have been because it took planning. You had to pack your suit, towel etc. You couldn't just throw on your running shoes and fly out the door. It could have been because you have to take another shower to get the chlorine off. Or it could have just been that it wasn't my strength so therefore I hated it.

What's weird is I used to have a love relationship with swimming. Swimming was the first sport I participated in. I swam in high school on the varsity team. Through swimming I made great friends, got in the best shape of my life and learned that practice and discipline are great traits to take in other parts of life.

So why am I posting about this today. Well when I first started back in February with David (my coach) he said he wanted to make me love swimming, or at least hate it less. I'd heard that it was really smart to train your weakness but since I wasn't fond of swimming I never wanted to focus on it. So slowly but surely he's focused me on swimming. Improving my stroke, learning about rotation, getting more power and longer glide. I've swam in Hawaii, Shanghai, Vegas and here in Portland and today I had what many would call a breakthrough.

For the past 2 seasons I've averaged about a 1:21 per lap (50yd). In the past 2 months with David I've gotten that down to 1:15 per lap. Not bad, considering my first triathlon I was doing about 1:30 per lap.

Today I swam 1:00 per lap, not once, not twice but consistently over 10 laps. 500yds at 1:00 per lap pace. OMG!!!! I wasn't fatigued, I was a little winded after each lap but all in all I felt great after the workout and I swam every lap in 1:00.

This leopard could end up taking to water after all :)

1 Comments:

Blogger KLN said...

I love love love the water, and I'm so glad you're finding some joy in it for yourself!

Congrats on that awesome progress, too. I seem to be stuck at 1:11-1:13 as my fastest 50s, an getting to 60 seconds or under is one of my goals. Well done!

April 22, 2006 4:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home