Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Ironman Bike Course - My Impressions

Wow! My first impression of the Ironman bike course here in Coeur d'Alene is they don't call it an Ironman for nothing. What a beautiful and challenging course.

We started at the transition area and followed the course through downtown where I immediately would have been DQ'd for crossing the center yellow line on a sharp turn. EEEKKKKK!!!!

Note to self #1: Work on cornering

The course follows Coeur d'Alene drive along the lake where you get an absolutely beautiful view of the lake. There wasn't too much wind on the way out which was nice. After a few miles of fast flat riding, we started climbing up toward Higgens Point. I was slower than Susan on the climb but I just spun slowly up the hill and soon we'd reached the turn-around for the first section of the bike. WOO HOO!

Got a headwind heading back into town and had to stop quickly for a bathroom break and to refill water. Holy Mackerel it was hotter than heck and we'd only gone like 15 miles at this point. After passing back through town the course heads out on Highway 95 until Upriver Drive.
Having driven the course yesterday I knew it was time to drop down to my granny gear and start spinning. Up, up, up the road winds. Each time you think it's about to end, it turns a corner and keeps on going up. Did I mention you are climbing this whole time? The amazing thing here is that while you are suffering up this mountainside you are treated to amazing views! Without crashing it was possible to glance around and take in the stunning vista of the pine trees, the lake down below and the sounds and smells up in the forest. When the climb finally reached its apex Susan and I hopped off the bike to chalk Carole's # on the road :) Then you start a very fast, technical descent. I was hanging on for dear life as I rode the brakes all the way down. I think at one point I yelled "this is crazy".

Now we're on a few rollers riding along the river before hitting the bottom of the Riverview climb. We were just under 30 miles so Susan headed back via the river road so you could end at 35. I continued up Riverview Road and this is where my day litterally ground to a halt. As I'm about to start climbing the Riverview hill when I totally lose my chain. WHAT!!!!!!!!! It's a brand new bike I shouldn't be dropping chains. CRAPOLA.

I get off without tipping over which is a major feat since I need to work on my balance. I struggle for a few minutes before finally getting my chain back on but I can't get the bike to downshift into my climbing gear. You have got to be kidding me. It's 95 degrees outside and I am climbing a 1.5 mile long hill 3 gears above my granny gear. I pedal and pedal and curse the hill, curse the company who made my gears, curse the heat. I pretty much just used my frustration to fuel my climb because about halfway up the hill totally mashing my pedals my quads and back were screaming so I figured I might as well scream too :)

I finally made it to the top and was treated to a wicked descent which was extremely challenging with just me on the road so I can only imagine how tough it is during the race with tons of other cyclists out there. Yikes!

I rode past fields of wildflowers, Buffalo (there were even some baby Buffalo), Cows, Horses before winding my way back to the Centennial Trail. Wow! You actually ride across this river on a bike only bridge which is super cool but even more awesome is that you're actually crossing from Washington back to Idaho.

The bike course heads into a residential neighborhood before approaching the last and final climb on Poleline. Short and steep I can see how that hill would be a bitch at Mile 106 of the bike course. I managed to get my gearing correct and spun up it before descending for the last few miles on Seltice into Coeur d'Alene.

All told it took me 3:33 minutes riding at an effort of about 3 (other than the stupid climb in the wrong gear which was a 5). Total ride was 58 miles at an average speed of 16.3 MPH.
I plan to ride both loops in September because even though I was really pleased with my time for the 1 loop, those hills are going to suck on the second loop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home