Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, June 02, 2006

What doesn't kill you...

they say makes you stronger. Mental toughness is definitely something that can be a struggle. For me it usually is brought on by adverse conditions. Cold, rain, wind etc. Now I'm sure many of you are laughing at this cause you're like "HELLO, you live in Oregon where it rains all the time".

Wednesday I had to do a 90 minute run and of course it was raining and after the hotel treadmill I decided I was not running inside if I could help it. Unfortunately I forgot my rain jacket which sucked but I gathered my mental toughness and set out. 7 miles later I was soaked but feeling very tough and definitely like rain on the run wouldn't slow me down come race day.

It was still raining on Thursday which would again put me to the test because Thursday is my open water swim and transition bike day. Yikes! I struggled into my wetsuit after looking at the misty water and tried to steel myself for the cold water. WOO BOY! I was not prepared for it. It was ice cold even in the wetsuit. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did manage to swim 2 laps of the pond and then after chatting with some other triathletes I transitioned to my bike. Running in the rain is fine, even swimming in the rain is doable but I hate riding my bike in the rain. The roads are slippery, you have less stoping distance, you get all kind of road spray, ick!

Needless to say I got out and started riding and I ended up finding this cool paved trail which wound through this nature reserve. It was very peaceful, almost completely flat and I saw so many wild rabbits and birds. It was awesome! I came back covered in spray and muck, soaked to the bone but I was really happy I faced the rain :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home