Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Yarping at 17 MPH

You know you're a triathlete when....

This is a fill in the blank the girls on the Weight Watchers board and I often joke about. However tonight I think I probably pushed the envelope on our little game.

It's been a very weird training week for me. Saturday I had a killer, hot 58 mile ride on the Ironman course. Sunday I spent "resting" which consisted of walking, standing, squatting and the like for 18hrs at the race. Monday I rested from that. Tuesday I did my longest run of 10.6 miles early in the morning and it was still 80 outside. Ugh! Wednesday I was going to do a speed swim but I felt kind of weird and off.

Today I have a fairly regular day although since I hadn't bought groceries I have to eat at the office. So I have an egg-white breakfast burrito, a granola bar and some banana in the morning, followed by a garden burger and some fries for lunch. At about 2pm I had a small orange and at 6pm I had a tall light Frappacino.

Suit up and I'm into the lake for 3 laps (just under 2000 yds total). I took in more lake water than I normally do and even though I had a good swim I got out feeling kind of weird. Hopped on my bike for a 30 min transition ride and again felt kind of weird. Nothing specific. About 8 minutes into my ride I accidentally swallow a bug. Okay most people who ride their bikes have done this, I certainly have. No big deal right?

WRONG!

I immediately started dry heaving which I think was triggered by the bug but probably do more to the lake water mixing with what little nutrition I had going on. Now keep in mind that at this point I'm still pedaling. All of the sudden I just yarped.

It wasn't a whole lot but it was enough that I got it on my aero pad and my shoe and of course the ground. $*%&, that sucks! First I have cycling shoes with blood on them from a bike accident and now I have shoes with barf. All I need now is to whiz my way to victory at my next race to complete the trifecta of body fluids.

Of course I had only partially filled my aero bottle and had no additional water so there was no way to wash off the barf. Then I came up with the idea of drinking from my aero bottle and spitting the water on my bike and shoe. It worked like a charm and my aero pad got cleaned off but I ran out of water before I could get all the barf off my shoe.

So all of this is happening and what...oh yeah I'm still pedaling. I rode to the turn-around and then slowly pedaled back to my car where I attempted to finish cleaning my shoe but I think the lovely mix of orange and frappacino is permanent.

I'm taking an extra rest day tomorrow in an effort to get my stomach back on track cause even though I was more amused than disturbed by the yarping I'd prefer it not happen again.

1 Comments:

Blogger KLN said...

You know you're a triathlete when you take goggles and a swim cap to the beach. And then use them!

~~~Guin

July 09, 2006 5:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home